But the dog ate my homework

A no more excuses blog:

After listening to a mom complain that her daughter had not learned ANYTHING in school-- FOR HER ENTIRE ACADEMIC CAREER, I decided to take a stand against excuses. Working in the education sector for over 10 years has taught me that this mother's complaint is far too common. Parents would often confide in me that they were at a stand-still and did not know what to do to help their children achieve academic/social/personal success. They saw excuses being made at every corner and were frustrated by the endless blame-chain. The goal of this blog is to help you (the parents) get your kids set-up for success; let's stop making excuses! This is a no-more excuses blog! Let's interact with our kids' teachers. Let's hold people responsible where responsibility is due. No more will we accept the excuse of 'but the dog ate my homework!.' Are you ready? Let's get started!

April 5, 2017

When I meet with students and tell them that they will have to spend time doing “planning work” before doing their actual homework and studying, they often look at me like I’m crazy. I’ve actually become used to that look and usually respond with: “I know you think I’m crazy but this will save you t...

February 24, 2017

​​

It's been a hard week-- the end of term two has taken it's toll on so many of my students and families and I'm feeling pain and frustration and sadness right along with them. It's really hard when you feel like you're missing crucial support and information from your child's school....

November 18, 2016

I'm sure we've all heard a story similar to this from one of our friends at one time or another:

When I was in high school, if I got a 97% in math, my parents never seemed happy-- I  specifically remember them saying 'what happened to the other 3%!

If you haven't already received it, it's coming...

April 5, 2014

One of my students was recently accepted to university. An unlikely candidate diagnosed with ADHD and Auditory Processing Disorder, her high school dutifully explained that she was not meant for Cegep, let alone University. Instead, they suggested that she attend a trade school. She did not, however...

Please reload

Featured Posts

Getting Rid of the Homework Wars, Part II: The Schedule

April 6, 2017

1/6
Please reload

Recent Posts

April 5, 2014

Please reload

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon

© Copyright 2019

Contact Us

Tel: 514-398-0131

Email: brightsidelearning@gmail.com

Address

4226 Boulevard Saint-Jean #305

Dollard-des-Ormeaux, QC, H9G 1X5